- Specifies information about the document to browsers, applications, and search engines
- Belongs in the <head> section
- Can put search related information into meta tags although all search engines do not use
- <meta name = "description" contents = "The description of the site goes here - may be used by search engines" />
- <meta name = "keywords" contents = "key word 1, key word 2" />
- Are Meta Tags Really Useful?
- Animated GIF's
- Example created using Macromedia Flash. View its source to see how the <embed> tag is used.
- Use to embed sounds and video files
- <embed src = "url">
In the following example, the media files are from Microsoft Windows.
Your objective is to create a web site to demonstrate the features that we have
learned so far. Your web site can be about any topic,but it should have a
common theme (don't just link a bunch of unrelated pages). Your grade will
be based on the following:
___ / 10: It has at least four pages. Each page should look consistent
with each other. The site should not appear as if you linked unrelated pages.
___ / 10: It has a table of contents that appears on all pages. The
table of contents enables the user to link to any of the pages. If there are
any errors in linking, you will lose all 10 points.
___ / 10: It has one "form" page that has input items for gathering information
from the user. The form does not have to actually submit the information anywhere.
Make sure that this page has at least six different input objects (textboxes, radio
buttons, submit, reset,...). Also make sure that the elements and their descriptors
___ / 10: It has a page that lists the tags that you have incorporated in
your website. You should check each of the lessons and list the tags that
you have incorporated along with the lesson number. You should use a list
to list each lesson and then sublists under each list item to list the feature of
that lesson that you have incorporated. If you do not use lists, you will
lose 5 points.
___ / 10: A table is used to provide the overall layout of each page.
___ / 10: It has at least one image. Make sure that you set the attribute
so that a description of the image appears when the user moves the mouse over the
___ / 10: It follows guidelines for good coding practice. You will lose
all 10 points if you: (1) do not close tags which require closing, (2) use
complete file paths for links and images, (3) do not properly nest tags, or (4)
use incorrect tags.
___ / 10: It is attractive, uniform, and appealing. You should use consistent
color themes and fonts. Pages should have the same layout.